"Three Weeks with My Brother" by Micah & Nicholas Sparks was a heartrending read. I never knew that it could touch the depth of my soul, causing me to tear in public, consumed by the 'moments of despair' they felt during their trials and tribulations surrounding their beloved family. They have my utmost respect and admiration! This book inspires me to start thinking of writing my own book about my life (it just shows that everyone goes through the same struggles in life and you gain strength just by learning how others cope with similar situations)... Let's just say it could be my minor contribution to humanity? Hmm... worth a thought :)
In some ways, I wish I had an elder brother like Micah and a little sister like Dana (I never knew how it felt like to have a sister) I also wish that I grew up having a father like Nich ... but I believe there is a reason for everything as to why God made things the way it is now, Alhamdulillah!
Anyway, I am taking small steps to spend more time with family - had a great brunch with my younger bro and aunt recently after giving moral support to my bro for enrolling into teaching - a noble profession; attended religious classes with my aunts and cousins (I sincerely want to be closer to God and be a better person), etc.
Of late, I was bothered with the unfair treatment mum gave us, esp my younger bro and I (she always had a preference for my elder brother, which can be 'nauseating' and hurtful). I know that nothing in this world is fair although I wonder do I really have to live with it? I was glad I could pour out my 'grievances' to my aunt Z and she shares my opinion that whatever mum is doing for elder brother, is not gonna help him in the long run... We hope she realizes that she is doing him more harm than good. For the love of this family, I will try to muster enough patience and try my best to live with it.
God works in miraculous ways - there must be a reason as to why I have not started my own family. I could not fathom being away from home; mum could easily have an emotional breakdown given the lack of initiative of my elder brother, the 'head of the family' after my parents' divorce. Sometimes I just wish that somebody else in the family can carry/share the 'burden' I'm carrying.
From this experience, I learnt that marrying the right guy is really crucial for the sanctity of the household - he has to (in order of priority) have a strong faith, be committed and responsible to his family first and have a heart filled with unconditional love (ooh can hear some of you cringing, "She's asking for too much!") Well, this is my blog, right? :P
PS: Thanks for a wonderful chat over coffee last week, J :)
Saturday, July 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment